Do you love the idea of purchasing a house with a flat roof? Are you on a mission to buy one? Wait, but do you know everything about buying a house with a flat roof? If not then the number one estate agents in Brackley are there to help you out.
There are a lot of factors associated with buying a flat-roof house. If not kept in mind, you may face losses. A home survey, mortgage evaluation, and a lot more things are there that you need to cover. Read further to know more about the details you need to have before buying a flat-roof house.
What a flat roof house is?
Don’t know about a flat-roof house? Then in simple terms, a flat-roof house is categorised as a non-standard property that does not have a pitched roof. In general, these types of roofs require less effort in maintenance. However, the cost involved in repair can be a bit high.
It is estimated that these types of houses usually have a shorter life span that is around 20-25 years. And also, these types of houses have several problems like leaking, water pooling, etc., which make them costly to repair. In case you purchase a flat-roof house, you need to pay attention to the condition of the house and conduct a proper survey.
Is a mortgage possible on flat-roof properties?
Another important question that comes to your mind when you buy a flat-roof house. As mentioned above, the flat roof houses are nonstandard properties. Also, the cost of maintenance and risk involved is higher in such properties. So it’s quite difficult to get a mortgage on these properties. And those offering one may charge you higher.
Properties that involve many risks are usually difficult to resell and rent out. Insurance and mortgage companies are sceptical about investing in these types of properties. So there are only limited companies that would offer you a mortgage on such property. It’s better that you take advice from an estate agent before investing in such properties.
Benefits of a flat roof house:
The coin has two sides. The same goes for flat-roof houses. Though investment in such houses is risky it does have some benefits. Flat roof houses serve you some advantages that are listed below:
- The construction cost of flat roof houses is lower than usual property building rates in the UK.
- One of the major benefits of these roofs is that they are multipurpose. They can be easily used for terrace gardens and other such stuff.
- The time span of construction of houses with flat roofs is shorter in comparison.
- They are energy efficient and also are easy to clean up.
Above discussed were some of the major benefits of flat roof houses. However, there are a lot of challenges involved like higher repair costs, more amount of maintenance, not being suitable for cold environments, requiring inspection at least once a year, etc. But if you are fond of terrace gardens and a property that is constructed in a shorter span then flat-roof houses are ideal.
Challenges associated with flat roof houses:
Till now you have got to know that buying flat roof houses is quite risky. You might be wondering about the challenges involved. Here is a list of risks that comes along with flat-roof houses:
- Chances of leaks are higher: When you have houses with flat roofs the rainwater collects there. If there is not a proper drainage system for the water to pass this will develop leaks. Also, instalments of flat roof systems are an alternative but they are not a guaranteed solution.
- Pooling of water is another complication: With time, the flat roof develops areas with dip. Snow and rain can easily get collected in these areas. This in turn increases the chances of leakage.
- Roof angles need to be maintained: Although the name suggests flat roofs there needs to be a slight slope in the roof. If this is not given the problem of water and snow getting collected will increase. Also, it is necessary for easing up the drainage.
That was some of the common challenges faced by flat-roof houses.
Flat-roof houses may be your choice but the risks involved with this are higher. It is always better to take guidance from estate agents so that you can get the right deals. If you also planning to buy a house with flat roofs get in touch with the estate agents now.